The Scarlet Pimpernel must have thought itself utterly abandoned. Real life is not always compatible with cross-stitch design. Another spring has come and gone, I have retired, and I no longer have an excuse for ignoring this blog or my beloved wildflowers.
When last we saw the Scarlet Pimpernel, I had decided that I didn’t like the shape of the flowers. So today, with my calendar cleared, I had another run at it.
The leftmost flower on the right-hand plant is six kinds of goofy, but this is better. The pedicels are still a bit long, but they will allow the flowers not to overlap the leaves.
Translated into squares:
Not very Gerda-ish yet, but let’s keep going. What colors?
Wow. It looks like there’s a lot going on here. But it’s my standard three colors for the foliage and two or three for the flowers. To make these really look like Pimpernels, though, the flowers will need to have a white eye surrounded by a purple ring. Note the memo to myself to leave out a little stemmy bit on the right hand plant All it’s doing is confusing things.
I have finally figured out how to make my charting software behave semi-reasonably on my new laptop (who thought it was a good idea for the floss color choices NOT to be in numerical order), so here is the chart:
A color block chart is next. The program doesn’t handle the peculiar grenadine/salmon color of the flowers very well. They’re DMC 351 and 352, which is appropriately more orange. The two shades of green in the leaves will not be so starkly different, and the pale green of the fruit and tiniest leaves will be a lot more distinct.
Stitched over one, just about life-size:
On white Aida. (The purple eye rings aren’t showing… Hmm):
On caramelly-colored or golden linen, over one-ish:
I think I like it! Once the proper thread colors are used, I think this will do nicely, and I can always swap them out for actual orange shades. Not, perhaps, the most Gerda-ish of my designs, but it has a lively charm that I’m happy with. Good day’s work, and glad to be back!