A Test Shot

When starting a huge project, I always like to do a little proof-of-concept sample.  Am I on the right track?  Have I chosen the right materials?  Have I discovered any problems with the process or, heaven forbid, the project itself.

You’d think I’d have chosen something extremely easy for my first Gerda Bengtsson-style cross stitch design.  Something small and simple like a bluet.  You could make a bluet with fewer than forty stitches—and I do plan to include them!  But somehow, it felt right to start with Draba.  There are a few species of Draba in Texas. They’re small plants in the mustard family, with white, four-petaled flowers, a rosette of wedge-shaped leaves, and flat, elliptical fruits.  Draba cuneifolia may be the largest species, topping out about four inches tall.

draba-sketch

I began as Gerda would have, figuring out about how large I wanted the plant to be if stitched on the 32-count fabric I have.   (Stitched over two threads, that’s sixteen stitches per inch.)  I made a sketch of what would actually be a rather large plant so that I could include leaves, flowers, fruit, young fruit, and flower buds.  Not having any fresh material to hand, I looked at a lot of photographs and photos of herbarium specimens.

Nothing fancy here–just some scrap copy paper, pencil, and some black ink on top.

 

 

 

draba-chart1I figured the easiest way to make a chart would be to follow Gerda’s method, tracing the design on graph paper.  I have an advantage Gerda didn’t.  There are several sites online that let one print custom graph paper.  I made myself some that has 16 squares per inch, so that whatever I came up with would translate pretty much exactly to the finished product, size- and detail-wise.

Here is my first approximation.  I made it by the simple expedient of taping sketch and graph paper to a sunny window on my lunch hour at work.  I do have a light box, but not in my office.  Sixteen squares per inch turns out to be fine enough to capture a fair amount of detail, but even on this simple plant, there were a number of places where I dithered about whether to zig or zag.

draba-amended-chart

 

Right off the bat, I could see some things I wanted to change.  The right-hand fully-open flower is too large, and the left one is just wonky.  The stem needs to come from the center of the rosette, some of the leaves aren’t wedge-y enough, and the fruit could be better.

Here’s a scan of the first revision, with blacked-out squares marked for extinction and a note about how to fix one of the leaves.  I still need to stagger the leaves on the stem and do something about those awful flowers, though!

 

Advertisements

One thought on “A Test Shot

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s